Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Expressions of Cold

So this morning I'm thinking about common expressions of extreme cold weather & their origins.
"Colder than a witch's tit." Confusing AND kinky.

"Cold enough to freeze the balls off a Brass Monkey." Ummm? Huh?  Where do I begin with this one??? I don't think I've ever SEEN a Brass Monkey??? Where do you get one? Is there a Brass Monkey Store? Or a Brass Monkey section in Walmart? And why would just their balls freeze off? What about their tails? Who comes up with these stupid sayings?

5 comments:

  1. Brass monkeys were used to hold cannon balls on deck in Old England. The cold made the brass contract quicker than the iron and the cannon balls fell off.

    I've heard cold as hell too. I thought hell was hot? Are there seasons there as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so cold...
    hitchhikers were holding up pictures of thumbs!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM KENNY & LYNN....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wiki has more about this. The Cannon Ball idea might just be Urban Legend.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_(colloquial_expression)

    ReplyDelete